"The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page." -- Saint Augustine

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Once is a Coincidence, Twice is a Pattern

"I've only got teabags, I'm afraid - but I daresay you've had enough of tea leaves?"
-- Remus Lupin; Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling


So Monday, with one more week to go, I came across a five pence coin in an innocuous roll of dimes while I was at work.  It was a sign. Even my job wants me to go on my vacation!

I have a very interesting relationship with superstitions.  For example, I don't believe that walking under a ladder or crossing a black cat is bad luck -- I do, however, throw salt over my shoulder, and knock on wood to ward off a jinx. I don't believe in ghosts, but if a friend of mine tells me they've seen one, I believe them.  I love collecting the little tidbits of cultural information into my mental filing cabinet, but I rarely use or believe any of them.

In short, like mythology, I love superstitions. Even if I think some of them are hilariously silly.

Everyone follows a few at times, even if we're just keeping with tradition. The old adage "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" is said at least once at every single wedding in the Western world, lucky penny or silver sixpence in the shoe optional. Some ball players (and rabid fans) have to wear the exact same clothes -- underwear included -- or do certain things in the locker rooms and stands at every game in order to ensure a win.

Lots of airlines do not have row 13 on their flight.  The rows go from 12 to 14. I always want to make a scene about 13 being gone -- either throw a fit about 13 being my lucky number or demanding that someone send out a search party for the missing row. IT COULD BE LOST AND ALL ALONE AND SCARED AND CRYING FOR ITS MOMMY.  You see the same thing in high rise hotels. I can understand such a superstition in, say, Las Vegas, where Lady Luck is a fickle mistress, but to me, the whole thing is just silly. But the 13 superstition is strong in the padawans, so the bottom line is this: People think that 13 is unlucky (why is still a mystery lost to history, but most blame the Vikings or the Christians for triskaidekaphobia). Customers will not buy airline tickets or rent hotel rooms on those rows/floors, so the company has lost money. Making a silly acquiescence to keep the revenue up is a small price to pay.

I did not know this until I started looking into this post, but it's supposed to be bad luck to start a trip on Friday. Maybe that explains my trouble getting to California three weeks ago? Do curses work if you don't know about them?

Some people think this harkens back to the Vikings and Christians again. Thanks, guys!  Friday was supposed to have been Frigg's day -- Frigg, the wife of Odin (or Woden), got her own day too. (Wednesday was Woden's day, if you didn't know) When Christianity swept through the world, Frigg became a devil and, like Halloween, Friday became bad luck. Unless you work weekdays. Then Friday's a godsend come quitting time.

But when does a tradition become a superstition, or conversely when does a superstition become a tradition?  It's a fine line.

For example, my mother always changes the beds in the entire house before she goes on a trip. She says it's because she likes coming home and sleeping on clean sheets, but it's become a sort of travel tradition in my family. I know it's something I do, clean up a bit before going on a trip because it's nice coming home to a nice, clean room.  From what I've read, some people have to clean. Others have to have a certain piece of jewelry on, or have a lucky penny in their pocket.

Personally, I think it's a bit of a Jedi mind-trick we give ourselves, like -- well, like wearing racy knickers: You feel sexy, so you act sexy. When you have on a lucky necklace, or lucky earrings, or have a lucky coin on you, you feel lucky and confident and like nothing can strike you down.  If you don't have that special talisman and are keenly aware of it, every little bump is a terrible blow. 

Does anyone else have any travel superstitions or lucky charms they travel with? Come on, confess your deepest neurosises to the class, children!

And yes, I'm going to be leaving Monday with my lucky 5p. We'll be fine.

4 comments:

  1. Apparently our travel superstitions involve the relentless playing of Neil Young CDs. Warding off the Canadians or something like that.

    For me, personally, it involves making sure all the doors are locked at least twice, that the toilet is flushed and done running... wait those would be more OCD tendencies.

    Since travel has been at a minimum I'll share my in-house superstitions. I wear a hat while editing. It works. I despise editing, but it's more tolerable when I'm wearing my tricked out White Collar hat. Maybe it's the thoughts of Matthew Bomer... wait, no, strike that. :)

    I don't believe in coincidence, and I think if the lightning strikes directly after calling Zeus a wuss (not that my son would do that, or that would happen, yes, yes it did!)well I think you should brush up on your ancient mythology. And after tracing some genealogy lines, that when stretched claim I might be related to the Trojans of Troy (not my high school mascots), I pick the Roman side. So by Jove, I think that's it. Superstitions? Myth or Reality? I'm not one to tempt the gods and find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula, I love you and your crazy family.

    I'm very much in the 'don't tempt fate' category. I do believe in karma and I try very hard not to taunt the gods... even if I do shake my fists every now and then, I don't call any of them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MONDAY!!!!!

    I have two crystals that I keep in my bag, next to my wallet. Every time, I move them away from my wallet, like my pocket, bad things happen. So they stay near my wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't really gotten to do either when I've traveled lately. However, I like to wear a slinky (usually a plastic rainbow one) on my left wrist and if driving, listen to Jonathan Rundman CDs/songs.

    At home, I seem to write better when I listen to Classical Music.

    ReplyDelete